Bad Day To Be Sony

Zonk posted about 9 years ago | from the who-needs-customer-loyalty dept.

Sony 812

Not only is Sony no longer selling the RootKit CDs, Arend writes "According to a USAToday article, Sony is to pull their controversial rootkit CDs from store shelves." A nice gesture, but a little late. bos writes "Sony's DRM rootkit has been found by Dan Kaminsky to have infected at least half a million networks, according to an article by Quinn Norton for Wired News. Dan has even put together some pretty pictures of the breadth of the infection." With so many people infected, it's unfortunate that wiredog writes "From The Washington Post comes the news that serious security flaws have been found in the software that Sony is distributing to users who want to remove the Sony rootkit. The article says: 'Because of the way the tool is configured ... it allows any Web page that the user subsequently visits to download, install and run any code that it likes.'" Oops. Even Microsoft is getting into the act. ares284 writes "Microsoft said it would remove controversial copy-protection software that CDs from music publisher Sony BMG install on personal computers, deeming it a security risk to PCs running on Windows."

How to boycott? (5, Interesting)

dada21 (163177) | about 9 years ago | (#14037254)

I'm not a "boycott!!!" kind of guy. When I was younger I used to be, but no one ever stuck to it. This "error in judgement" is definitely something that I am adding to my (really small) short list of company-groups I won't buy from. I already won't buy CDs without the "CD" logo. I won't buy Sony TVs or receivers for the last 4 years because of their terrible support policies. I won't buy anything from Menard's either. And now Sony music CDs are permanently out.

How do those who are active boycotters stick to it? Do you actively pursue telling others, or is it just a "one person, one dollar, one vote" kind of life lead?

I could care less if other people want to support Sony artists or Sony products. All mercantilistic (using government to acquire wealth) corporations are bad, but that doesn't mean that every business is bad. Sony has actually been one of the least mercantilistic corporation I've tracked over the years, but their releasing of items without proper quality control is what kills them time and again.

And I believe that is the problem with this rootkit. Sony didn't test it properly. If they had tested it properly and kept it within its own little world on a customer's PC, I don't think the fallout would have been so excessive. They didn't test the product, they relied on the customers to do so. Luckily for Sony, the customers weren't happy and were vocal about it.

That is the free market at work. People unhappy about a company or a product have much more of a voice with the web being so readily available. The more the Internet allows billions of citizens to align on different issues, the more we'll see that a free market "democracy" is better than a democracy built around the use of force.

Vote with your dollars.

Re:How to boycott? (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037277)

you did not type that all in the 30 seconds since the story was posted....

Re:How to boycott? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037302)

No, he's a subscriber and typed it out before it was public, then submitted it after the story went live.

[OT] Re:How to boycott? (2, Interesting)

dada21 (163177) | about 9 years ago | (#14037342)

I use a PDA Phone to browser /. and type everything into MS's PDA version of Notepad. Then I copy and paste it into /. so I don't lose my comment from one of the billion reasons I have in the past.

I subscribe because it allows me to read the articles before they're /.d by the mass onslaught of others when the article goes live. The $10 a month or whatever I pay is well worth the consideration I receive from other regulars here, and has been very helpful in composing my views and thoughts on certain subjects. Yeah, the signal to noise ratio gets worse and worse here every day, but /. has probably increased my online reading rate at least 300% over the years, so it balances itself out :)

Re:[OT] Re:How to boycott? (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037408)

In other words, you are a karma whore?

Re:How to boycott? (3, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037309)

Well, do what I do. First, I get really pissed: then I will have nothing to do with the product or service. For example, I've been boycotting Slashdot.org for months now because of my disagreement with the modderation system. So,err, there! That's how you do it!

Re:How to boycott? (1)

Alcilbiades (859596) | about 9 years ago | (#14037319)

I don't listen to music so this issue doesn't really effect me much. However, I am glad sony is getting reamed for what it did.

Re:How to boycott? (0, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037332)

You man not be a'boycott kind of guy', but your views certainly seem extreame to me:

"All mercantilistic (using government to acquire wealth) corporations are bad"

Your point of view about government seems pathological.

Are you a Marxist? Why is utilizing government to acquire wealth bad?

I am guessing that you are young person, probably still in school.

There is nothing wrong with having a business that relies on the government as long as you provide society with products and services that it needs.

If we didn't have governments contracting then we wouldn't have the majority of roads, bridges, schools.

OK, so what is bad with roads, bridges, and schools, etc.

[OT] Re:How to boycott? mercantilism (2, Interesting)

dada21 (163177) | about 9 years ago | (#14037441)

I'm not Marxist, in fact, as an AnCap I am the opposite of an Marxist.

I'm not young (31) and have been writing from a pro-market anarchism persepective for over 8 years.

Roads, bridges and schools can be much better built, maintained and managed by the free market of competition than by the force/coercion market created by government and the cronies of government.

Lincoln's War Between States was fought to create a mercantilistic country out of a free market country (not slavery as many people believe). Since the War, our country has slid into a really bad Warfare-Welfare State, focused on disposing the middle class workers of their income and giving it to the wealthy elite in control of the monopolistic use of force.

I study at last 40 hours a week the various documents that help me reinforce the views I hold dear to me. Slashdot is a great outlet for finding other people with similar beliefs who just don't know it, as well as getting a great peer review system that helps me find my mistakes. Even those on my "Foe" list give me some amazing insight into mistakes I make in my rants and recommendations.

If you're interested in why government is bad for roads, bridges and schools send me an e-mail.

Re:How to boycott? (1)

Rude Turnip (49495) | about 9 years ago | (#14037338)

"I won't buy anything from Menard's either."

I know they're a big, mid-western hardware store chain, similar to Home Depot. As someone located on the east coast who has only walked past a Menard's once in Illinois, what is wrong with them? The corny jingle perhaps? (Save more money at Menaaaaaards!).

[OT] Re:How to boycott? (1)

dada21 (163177) | about 9 years ago | (#14037371)

They don't take American Express. I know it sounds corny, but as a business owner myself, American Express Open has bailed me out of millions of situations where I'd be bankrupt with the very temporary allowance.

I stopped using American Express about 2 months ago (I changed my cash flow projections in every aspect of my business life to be way undervalued), but I still won't do business with a company unless it says "American Express accepted!" in the window. Why Menard's won't do it is beyond me. Home Depot is always around the corner, and we're finally getting Lowe's here as well, in the Midwest.

Re:How to boycott? (4, Insightful)

jedidiah (1196) | about 9 years ago | (#14037347)

Nevermind boycotts. These sorts of shenanigans deserve nothing short of civil litigation and criminal prosecution. People should be showing up to the local DA's office with pitchforks in hand. Nevermind silly little boycotts.

mod parent up (1)

Mateo_LeFou (859634) | about 9 years ago | (#14037396)

Also, for fun someone should look up how much first 4 internet got for that contract. Then we'll see if it's more than 0.00001% of the damages Sony eventually has to pay.

Re:How to boycott? (3, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037352)

It's a lot easier to download something from p2p than to go out and buy it. Easy boycott.

Re:How to boycott? (5, Insightful)

achacha (139424) | about 9 years ago | (#14037354)

Have to agree with you, I have added Sony to my very small list of companies not to buy things from. Yesterday I bought a camcorder from Canon even though both Canon and Sony were final runner ups, I put my 800$ on a Canon for one reason... Sony DRM is an insult to consumers and I am sure my miniscule decision will not matter but I feel good that I will not be giving money to a company that thinks it is ok to distribute a rootkit with their music CDs. And I actually checked the music CDs I was buying to make sure they were not from Sony. The only way we can have our voices heard is not by making noise but by not spending money ontheir products... when you affect their profits it hurts a lot more and while I am one person and my immediate actions will not even affect the company, I am hoping there are more people out there that believe in honest practices.

buy second hand? (5, Insightful)

speedfreak_5 (546044) | about 9 years ago | (#14037364)

I'm a music nut. I've tried the boycott thing with mixed results. But what has "worked" for me lately is buying CDs and vinyl second hand. Unfortunately, They may already have the money from the original purchase of the music, but if you buy second hand, someone gets money and you get a CD or record and the RIAA partners get nothing.

Re:How to boycott? Website (5, Informative)

saskboy (600063) | about 9 years ago | (#14037404)

I just found the website claiming to lead the charge http://www.boycottsony.us/ [boycottsony.us] in the boycott.

I've been including information I think is important about the Sony case on my blog too since the story broke, but other sites have much more detail. I just try to break it down so the average joe knows what's going on if their brain turns off at acronyms like DRM.

Re:How to boycott? (0, Redundant)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037455)

I know, -5 offtopic... But

You're trying to say one of two things.

1) It matters to you if other people want to support Sony.

OR

2) It doesn't matter to you if other people want to support Sony.

If you're trying to say #2, that it doesn't matter, then you mean that you couldn't care less. Meaning you care so little that it is impossible for you to care less than you do now. To say you could care less means that you do care, because it is possible to care less.

I think you were trying to say #2, so I thought I'd point out the flawed logic of your "could care less" statement.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves. Here's to correcting the worlds grammar one person at a time.

I'll say one thing for that map (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037262)

Bush won the rootkit election in a landslide.

fp i hate sony (0, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037265)

sony should die fp

Re:fp i hate sony (4, Funny)

rovingeyes (575063) | about 9 years ago | (#14037301)

you should have tried $sys$fp. Then see if the moderators would have caught you. Oh well...

whatever?? (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037266)

LOL! Even teh micro$ofties tink tis is teh lame :))

Ouch (4, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037268)

To have Microsoft call you on your bad business practices...

And their mp3 player sucks too! (2, Funny)

ReeferCpe (613569) | about 9 years ago | (#14037272)

:D

fuck (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037274)

niggers

Wow this will be quite expensive! (1)

Lucia_Inverse (626540) | about 9 years ago | (#14037276)

this will cost them a bundle as they will have to junk all thoes discs, make new masters etc, and this will be them admiting wrong doing as well making it easier for a lawsuit.

The applicable phrase is... (3, Funny)

Engineer-Poet (795260) | about 9 years ago | (#14037373)

Hoist by their own petard [reference.com] (definition #1).

What do you bet that spyware/rootkits on music CDs disappear for the next few years?

Re:Wow this will be quite expensive! (1)

AKAImBatman (238306) | about 9 years ago | (#14037407)

Sounds like Sony needs to Get Right with the Man. :-P

Re:Wow this will be quite expensive! (1)

Tango42 (662363) | about 9 years ago | (#14037438)

Easier to win the lawsuit, maybe, but harder to get a meaningful punishment. A judge is likely to reduce any punishment because they've seen the error of their ways and tried to correct the issue.

Not to worry (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037281)

I'm sure they'll find some sort of way [scotsman.com] to cheer themselves up...

LGPL and/or GPL? (1)

edubarr (723926) | about 9 years ago | (#14037283)

What about the LGPL and GPL issues?
Anyone has any news on that?

Gosh there might be (1)

Mateo_LeFou (859634) | about 9 years ago | (#14037424)

Have you heard of this site called "Google"? I've found it a really quick way to find out if there's news about something-or-other

PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (5, Insightful)

Rude Turnip (49495) | about 9 years ago | (#14037287)

I'd like to thank the fine folks at Sony for helping me decide which next-generation gaming console to buy (hint: It doesn't begin with the letter "P" or end in a "3"). It's a sad state of affairs when Microsoft has to come to the rescue and un-fsck your security blunders.

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (3, Interesting)

geekoid (135745) | about 9 years ago | (#14037370)

NOt to change your mind or anything, I would like to point out that at Sony's size, the different divisions have little or nothing to do with each other.
So the same people who make decisions for the music products are not the same people who make decisions at the playstation divisions .

From what I hear, there is some pretty intense inside fighting going on between the people who make mop3 players, and the music division.

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (0)

Doctor Crumb (737936) | about 9 years ago | (#14037375)

Um, it is exploiting flaws in *Microsoft's* products. Yes, sony was evil to do this, but Microsoft is clearly implicated in this whole mess. This is not a Sony rootkit running on Nintendo or on Linux; this is a sony rootkit exploiting holes in Microsoft Windows.

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (1)

ergo98 (9391) | about 9 years ago | (#14037427)

How is it exploiting a "hole"? If you're running as an admin, it installs itself at a system level - just like lots of other system utilities do. There is no hole here, apart from the fact that most users still run as admin (though don't go blaming Microsoft entirely for that. Even loved software like Winamp falls apart if you don't run as admin or do some manual ACL changes, because they didn't conform to even the basic rudiments of user-level security).

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (1)

bhirsch (785803) | about 9 years ago | (#14037435)

Not really. Sony could make one just as functional for any other OS. If users run the thing, it is hard to blame MS.

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (0)

zoloto (586738) | about 9 years ago | (#14037377)

Sad state of affairs? If Microsoft had engineered an operating system with the maximum security that allowed for performance and basically stayed out of the users way, this wouldn't be a problem. I'm not absolving Sony of their misdeeds or trying to refocus the attention, but let's not call it a "sad state of affairs" simply because MS is doing what they were supposed to do a long time ago. Despite their intentions, they're doing it.

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (1)

NanoGator (522640) | about 9 years ago | (#14037458)

" If Microsoft had engineered an operating system with the maximum security that allowed for performance and basically stayed out of the users way, this wouldn't be a problem."

Is that all? Well gee golly gosh, making an OS sounds almost as easy as making a web browser!

Re:PS3? No thanks, Sony; you screwed the pooch (1)

theStorminMormon (883615) | about 9 years ago | (#14037432)

I had to stifle my laughter when I read that (people frown at the solitary techie who laughs for no perceptible reason in his cubicle).

Please mod parent "fscking hilarious".

-stormin

sedyn (880034) | about 9 years ago | (#14037291)

I'm all in favour of letting the average person know the truth behind what content distributors are willing to do to protect "their" property.

Let us hope that people find out about DRMs before they saturate the market any further.

Re:Thank god for Sony (2, Insightful)

olddotter (638430) | about 9 years ago | (#14037386)

I agree, in the grand scheme this might be a good thing.

And if for nothing else this has been very funny to watch the problems snow ball for Sony.

Wow... (2, Interesting)

Premo_Maggot (864012) | about 9 years ago | (#14037295)

the virus writers have done something good for us!

I sincerely apologize for this... (4, Funny)

LithiumX (717017) | about 9 years ago | (#14037296)

The DRM WANTS to be free!

bare minimum (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037300)

At the very minimum, they should have to pay the 5$ limited liability to everyone who bought the CD's with it on.

That way they lose at least 10 mil for being stupid

Now look at the mess you're in, Sony. (3, Insightful)

apflwr (930636) | about 9 years ago | (#14037303)

In the end it probably would have been cheaper and much less hassle to just let us download the damn mp3s.

Re:Now look at the mess you're in, Sony. (1)

alphax45 (675119) | about 9 years ago | (#14037334)

Well now that they see this, maybe others will follow suit and NOT do this kind of crap to us anymore. On the other hand, they may not be as public about it next time and just try to pay off whoever finds the "bug" in the DRM software. Just my 2 cents.

Good PR for Microsoft (1)

Dark Paladin (116525) | about 9 years ago | (#14037304)

I'm on the "No buying Sony" bandwagon right now, though they've almost completed my requirements (pull the Rootkit filled CD's is the first, the second is the publicly promise that they will not do it again).

Because of this, odds are that MS will actually get some of my business. I'm not in the "I'm in line for a Xbox 360" (well, save to buy one and resell it on eBay sicne I'm evil), but lately I've been renting more Gamecube and Xbox games. I'm preparing to sell my PSP partially when there aren't any games I care about, and partially to not support Sony until they stop their DRM issues.

So, for MS to call out "Oh, we're going to help you be secure!" is a good move for them, especially with the upcoming PS3 versus Xbox 360 fight looming. Will it make a difference? Maybe - but as the old line says, "There's no such thing as bad press".

Well, unless you're Sony.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I could be wrong.

There is another perspective... (1)

jd (1658) | about 9 years ago | (#14037381)

Can you imagine what other defects the DRM must have, in order for Microsoft to decide it is insecure?

You wouldn't know from their stock price (eom) (1)

Mateo_LeFou (859634) | about 9 years ago | (#14037307)

eom

Hey Dan (1)

ryanr (30917) | about 9 years ago | (#14037310)

What did you do to check? Are you checking DNS Cache status, or are you scanning over RPC for the named pipe it installs?

Re:Hey Dan (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037417)

RTFA. DNS cache is what he said.

I'm really torn (1)

$RANDOMLUSER (804576) | about 9 years ago | (#14037312)

Part of me wants to boycott Sont forever, and part of me wants to thank them for being so stupid, inept and evil that they've probably permanently discredited DRM. Kind of reminds me of Lotus and copy protection from years back.

Re:I'm really torn (1)

Ironsides (739422) | about 9 years ago | (#14037362)

I was thinking the same thing. Now only time will tell if there will be a significant enough backlash to eliminate DRM systems like this. Unfortunately, I don't see this causing a significant enough backlash to eliminate DRM for good. What might do that is the DRM system that lets you play games/movies only on the first player that the disk is played in.

Indeed (1)

samjam (256347) | about 9 years ago | (#14037402)

I suspect someone will lose a job over this. It's a shame, they probably don't "deserve" it, for just being stupid.

But I'm also glad Sony have really fouled things up and brought the whole issue of DRM a and it's limits to the international conciousness.

I also fear that this may provoke the more exploiting "copyright holders" to be more radical just as their legal tactics have provoked decentralized file sharing and possibly now the "darknet" type stuff.

Sam

Re:I'm really torn (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037439)

I'd choose to have my cake and eat it too.

Hey... (1)

RonaldReagan (112997) | about 9 years ago | (#14037320)

I just want to know how *I* can get in on the class action lawsuit.

Looks like they crossed the threshold... (4, Insightful)

jenkin sear (28765) | about 9 years ago | (#14037321)

Looks like Sony crossed the threshold from nuisance to crime. While DOJ is almost certainly going to soft-pedal this, a savvy attorney general with political ambitions from a state unencumbered by Hollywood and the RIAA could probably ride this case into the governor's office....

"Paging Eliot Spitzer [wikipedia.org] , Paging Eliot Spitzer, Mr. Spitzer white courtesy phone..."

Re:Looks like they crossed the threshold... (4, Interesting)

the eric conspiracy (20178) | about 9 years ago | (#14037398)

"Paging Eliot Spitzer, Paging Eliot Spitzer, Mr. Spitzer white courtesy phone..."

To me the biggest surprise in this saga is that he hasn't been all over this.

Nooooo! (4, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037325)

The Brotherhood of NOD has taken over 75% of the United States!

Bad Day for Sony? (1)

HotNeedleOfInquiry (598897) | about 9 years ago | (#14037327)

More like a bad 2 years. Pro video division down the toilet, missed the window for LCD monitors and TV's, crappy reliability on most of the other products they make.

It's amazing that a company so good could tank so fast. Almost reminds me of DEC. Maybe Toshiba should buy them out.

Re:Bad Day for Sony? (2, Interesting)

^me^ (129402) | about 9 years ago | (#14037403)

good? their minidisc stuff was terrible. Their computers are gimmicky. memory stick was just a year early of every other freaking memory card onthe planet. ATRAC3? yeah ok, that's trash. the last time they did anything truly useful was the walkman.

Vulnerability (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037328)

So we have a vulnerability on machines that was pushed out intentionally by somebody. We know who that somebody is.

The question is, will they get punished for this by the authorities? The FBI and police seem to be happy to jail writers of virii or worms or those who spread vulnerabilities to unsuspecting systems. Why shouldn't the product manager responsible for this pay for his crime of making the nations computers even more insecure?

Considering the rootkit is installed without owners realistically being aware, doesn't that make it equivalent to a form of worm, virus, or other type of nasty?

I seriously believe that someone should be doing jail time for this. Such a punishment would make any other malfeasants think twice before thinking that they don't have to obey the law.

Get 'em good (4, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037335)

Go to http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/ [sonybmg.com] or http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/form14.html [sonybmg.com]

Where it asks for the Artists name type in some diatribe

Where it asks for the Album Title, type in more diatribe

Where it asks for Store Name, type in yet even more diatribe

Where it asks for email address try something that will cause them trouble such as uce@ftc.gov or some chronic antispammer advocate.

This will hopefully force Sony to make the "patch directly downloadable." ...since Sony says over 2 million disks containing the rootkit have been sold, that puts them under the gun for roughly U.S. $150 billion in damages :)

Perhaps the copyright owners could offer to settle: have Sony repay all of the people who have been extorted for money because of filesharing (double for damages), and promise to stop all such activities in the future. That would only run them about $100 million, so it would be quite a deal.

Re:Get 'em good (1)

FluffyWithTeeth (890188) | about 9 years ago | (#14037434)

Last I heard, this didn't actually remove it. It just hides it a bit more, and upgrades it...

This is why they're gonna get burned from this.

Boycott Big Music (4, Insightful)

drdanny_orig (585847) | about 9 years ago | (#14037337)

I suggest people consider boycotting _all_ RIAA member labels, not just Sony. They just happened to be the fools who fell for this particular version. It's not hte implementation that's anathema, it's the concept of DRM. When in doubt, consult RIAA Radar [magnetbox.com] . Don't buy discs produced by RIAA members, it't that simple.

Who was held accountable? (2, Insightful)

Murphy's Paradox (585454) | about 9 years ago | (#14037340)

I wonder how many people, and their positions in the company, were shipped off to Sony's Siberian department for this debacle. I also wonder if anyone Even though the programmers were told to do this by management, I'm sure they are getting in trouble for not being sneaky enough with the code.

Another Sony story in the news (1)

matt me (850665) | about 9 years ago | (#14037343)

Today I read (UK newspaper) that Sony are going to increase the price at which they sell products to online retailers supposedly so their high-street stores can compete.

Maybe the time's arrived... (1)

gik (256327) | about 9 years ago | (#14037357)

Maybe people will finally understand the implications of this DRM crap. At the very least people everywhere will think twice before endorsing a method used by greedy fat cats to impose their assy will on others.

[/Rage]

FBI? NSA? Homeland Security? (5, Insightful)

The Rizz (1319) | about 9 years ago | (#14037363)

Why hasn't Sony been raided by the Feds, yet?

If this had been an individual, or small business, you know they would already be behind bars awaiting trial for violating some law or another... possibly even being brought up on some sort of national security-related charges.
( Someone in a secure/top secret/classified government network has probably stuck one of these CDs into their machine at some point.)

I want to know why the Feds aren't treating Sony like they would anyone else ... break into their offices, confiscate every single piece of electronics and CD in the place, and never give them back, ever (or at least, not until years after you've replaced everything).

Re:FBI? NSA? Homeland Security? (1)

P3NIS_CLEAVER (860022) | about 9 years ago | (#14037418)

or small business
They would only do this if the business was run by pimply 15-year-old geeks

Re:FBI? NSA? Homeland Security? (5, Insightful)

SilverspurG (844751) | about 9 years ago | (#14037440)

Because we live in a democratically elected plutocracy.

By associating it with democracy, though, that makes it all better. We're all supposed to be happy that corporate profits supersede individual rights and property.

Boycotting Sony is a great idea... (4, Funny)

Dante333 (25148) | about 9 years ago | (#14037365)

Now that I have already got GTA: Liberty City Stories for my PSP.

The "Infection" Picture (1)

parasonic (699907) | about 9 years ago | (#14037372)

Looking at the "pretty picture," is that a crack in the polar ice cap?

MS is marking it as spyware... (1)

orion41us (707362) | about 9 years ago | (#14037374)

"Microsoft has joined a growing group of security software vendors who are treating Sony BMG Music Entertainment's controversial Extended Copy Protection (XCP) copy protection software as a threat. Microsoft has announced it will begin treating the software as spyware and offering users tools to remove it, just as a Princeton University computer science researcher raised questions about a second Sony copy protection product."

From pcworld [pcworld.com]

Sony messup is public now. No longer only on /. (1)

alphax45 (675119) | about 9 years ago | (#14037376)

Especially when I saw this story on "CNN" today. You know it's gone "public" when it's on CNN! Sorry Sony, you messed up and a few million know about it now. Hopefully this will make a bigger part of the public think about DRM next time they reach in there wallet to buy the newest "CD".

They are still being weasels... (3, Interesting)

Zocalo (252965) | about 9 years ago | (#14037378)

When the say "remove the rootkit CDs from the shelves" they mean just that; "rootkit CDs" specifically meaning those with "XCP-Aurora" installed and not with any other kind of DRM they are currently shipping. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are even going to extend that to the specific version of "XCP-Aurora" people are complaining about on those CDs already known to contain it.

What a shame that Scott Adams' "Weasel Awards" [dilbert.com] for 2005 have already been awarded. There's always 2006 I suppose, but this will probably have been long since done and dusted by then... unless it's still churning though legal systems in the US and elsewhere of course.

No Refund (5, Informative)

rozthepimp (638319) | about 9 years ago | (#14037379)

From Sony regarding the XCP CD received today in an email: Sony has already addressed the issue of the security concerns via the Service Pack 2 update on our website. According to the terms of the EULA that you agreed to when first installing our software, you agreed to obtain and install any recommended updates. All major security vendors have and Microsoft have announced that the installation of the SP2 update removes their concerns over the original technology used on our CDs. Sony BMG does not offer a refund/return program for this product.

Notice how Asia and South America... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037383)

Notice how Asia, South America, Africa and Australia appear to be largely uneffected. Either Sony folks in those area are not so brain dead as to produce DRM ladden pseudo CDs or people in those respective areas are all listening to copies they burn from ripped MP3s...

Silver Lining (2, Interesting)

happymedium (861907) | about 9 years ago | (#14037393)

DRM is poised to intrude on our lives even more in the form of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray copy protection, Windows Vista, and the digital TV broadcast flag... isn't it about time Slashdot's least favorite acronym (besides SCO perhaps) got some bad mainstream press?

This Sony incident could help convince consumers and businesses alike that intrusive DRM is a bad idea.

You know when... (1)

Ted_Bell111 (931287) | about 9 years ago | (#14037394)

Microsoft goes against a form of DRM, that you have gone too far! And on another note, hasn't it been a bad year to be Sony (see Sony's attempt to dethrone iTunes and the iPod). Sorry I couldn't resist :)

Isn't there a word ... (4, Interesting)

Daniel Dvorkin (106857) | about 9 years ago | (#14037406)

... for a political maneuver where you first propose something so outrageous that it's sure to get shot down, and then withdraw the proposal and advance something only slightly less outrageous? Like, let's say Senator Boughtandpaidfor introduces a bill requiring the death penalty for anyone who cracks a copy-protected CD, and when that gets the desired uproar, he says, "Oh, okay, let's compromise and make it fifty years in prison instead" -- and that bill passes because it's more "reasonable."

Which makes me wonder what Sony's got coming next.

The real story... (1)

Schart (587279) | about 9 years ago | (#14037411)

Who knew there were so many Van Zandt fans in South America!

I mean... WOW! Those boys are on FI-YAAA!

Job opening! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037412)

see subject

Oops. (4, Funny)

AWhiteFlame (928642) | about 9 years ago | (#14037415)

You know you screwed something up when Microsoft comes in and calls it a threat to the security of windows.

Let's kill them with the cure... (1)

WalterODimm (894027) | about 9 years ago | (#14037416)

"From The Washington Post comes the news that serious security flaws have been found in the software that Sony is distributing to users who want to remove the Sony rootkit. The article says: 'Because of the way the tool is configured ... it allows any Web page that the user subsequently visits to download, install and run any code that it likes."

Irony.... thy name is sony.

Several outcomes... (1)

KD5YPT (714783) | about 9 years ago | (#14037419)

I will bet that Sony will be fine after this. I've yet to see any significant legal actions taken against any multi-billion and multi-national corporation could inflict any significant damage. But here's my 2 cents.

The pendulum swings (1)

eieken (635333) | about 9 years ago | (#14037421)

Maybe this will do something to further fair-use in the upcoming DRM battle for future Bluray, HD-DVD players.

Boil a frog? (1)

WankersRevenge (452399) | about 9 years ago | (#14037425)

SONY's idea of boiling a frog [wikipedia.org] is putting the said frog in a pot of water, then nuking the son of a bitch in a microwave. Methinks someone will be losing their job soon.

PS3 (1)

Deanasc (201050) | about 9 years ago | (#14037426)

I wasn't planning on buying a Playstation 3 but now I'm definately not going to buy one just to boycot Sony for being dumbheaded. So there!

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD = Sony vs Microsoft. (1)

bubulubugoth (896803) | about 9 years ago | (#14037436)

Blu Ray DRM is based upon java.
HD-DVD DRM is based upon iHD from MS.

HP is pressing Blu Ray to adopt iHD...

And now, Sony is having a big issue reinforcing they own content using they own DRM scheme...

And Microsoft could alledge better security with DRM as inherent part of the SO, obviously iHD and Windows Vista...

But seems Blu Ray has more advocates among the industry, and DRM is a concern...

Microsft now can use Sonys own mistake as a plus of their iHD OS built in DRM...

Bad move sony, very bad move...

And at the end, we all loose...

Can't... type... reply... too... much... (1)

The I Shing (700142) | about 9 years ago | (#14037443)

Can't... type... reply... too... much... schadenfreude...

DRM Poster Child (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 years ago | (#14037447)

The question we should all be asking ourselves is "How do we make this incident the poster child for the anti-DRM movement?" We need to look for ways to make DRM synonymous with "Sony's Big Fuckup." When customers hear about copy protection, rights management and trusted computing, they need to be filled with visions of Sony compromising millions of computers.

Another Reasons (1)

Scurra UK (143378) | about 9 years ago | (#14037451)

Another reason why it's a bad day - The Times has just run a front page story [timesonline.co.uk] pointing out that Sony is trying to force internet retailers out of business in an anti-competitive move to push up prices this Christmas for consumers in the UK....

I vote we do (4, Funny)

guardiangod (880192) | about 9 years ago | (#14037452)

this.... [bash.org]

Disclaimer: In case those lawyers from Sony is not being work to death right now from all those demage lawsuit- I am joking.

What's going to happen... (1)

mulicheng (906682) | about 9 years ago | (#14037453)

to the people who came up with this idea?

I'd be interested to find out when it does.

In related (Wired) news... (1)

Spy der Mann (805235) | about 9 years ago | (#14037456)

The rootkit infections turned out to be more than half a million [wired.com] .