The Strange Disappearance of Dancho Danchev

timothy posted about 4 years ago | from the or-not-so-strange dept.

Censorship 160

rudy_wayne writes "ZDNet is reporting that Zero Day blogger and malware researcher Dancho Danchev has gone missing since August of last year. Dancho, who was relentless in his pursuit of cyber-criminals, last blogged here on August 18. His personal blog has not been updated since September 11, 2010. 'At ZDNet, we made multiple attempts to contact him, to no avail. Telephone numbers are going to Bulgarian language voicemails and our attempts to reach him via a snail mail address also came up empty. Just recently, a trusted member of the malware research community reached out to us to say he had received a troubling letter from Dancho on September 9, 2010, about the threat of persecution in Bulgaria.'"

Tin foil hats (0)

anomaly256 (1243020) | about 4 years ago | (#34886020)

What kind of 'trouble' requires him avoiding even public computers and telephones? I mean, are we talking US Government spy satellites? Aliens? Alter-Dimensional invaders?

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

anomaly256 (1243020) | about 4 years ago | (#34886032)

(yes I RTFA'd, but the paranoia still seems excessive for the claimed situation)

Re:Tin foil hats (5, Informative)

SteveTheNewbie (1171139) | about 4 years ago | (#34887510)

Kinda reminds me of the kier/cha0 story which you can read here [wired.com] - Quite scary stuff. There are other events like this out there as well involving organised criminals kidnapping people who started investigating their links with malware and botnets.

Re:Tin foil hats (0, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886050)

Girls.

Re:Tin foil hats (0, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886398)

Nice try, but -1 Not Funny.

Who the fuck modded this "informative" ?? WTF

Re:Tin foil hats (0, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886468)

I tend to mod funny stuff informative or insightful because modding someone funny doesn't affect karma the same way. I like to reward folks for being funny.

Re:Tin foil hats (2, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886502)

I tend to mod things appropriately. If it's funny, I mod it as such. If it's not informative, I don't mod it as informative.

If being funny were meant to affect karma, it would.

Re:Tin foil hats (5, Informative)

Omniscientist (806841) | about 4 years ago | (#34886522)

I like to reward folks for being funny.

While that's very considerate of you, a funny post marked as 'Informative' is more than likely to get subsequently modded down; messages with comedic substance tend to come across as wholly incorrect assertions when read from sources being represented as useful information.

Re:Tin foil hats (1, Offtopic)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 years ago | (#34886858)

Wow, you said that like it meant something.

Re:Tin foil hats (5, Funny)

Suki I (1546431) | about 4 years ago | (#34886424)

Swedish girls.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886528)

You know, in the circumstances, this isn't funny. Go modz.

Re:Tin foil hats (2)

JustOK (667959) | about 4 years ago | (#34886760)

Why, is he gay?

Re:Tin foil hats (2)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 years ago | (#34886884)

No, I think it's because a missing Bulgarian malware researcher is supposed to make us all solemn.

Considering the players who have been getting in the malware business lately, I'm surprised there're not more missing malware researchers.

I hope this guy is all right, though. There are some rough people in that game, and Bulgaria is a place (yes, I've been) where people have been going missing for a long time. May he only be on a five-day bender or something as innocent. We live in a world where doing something decent can sometimes bring unwanted attention of unpleasant people.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

JustOK (667959) | about 4 years ago | (#34886996)

such as it's always been

Re:Tin foil hats (2)

hairyfeet (841228) | about 4 years ago | (#34887748)

I have to agree with ya Pope and lets be honest folks, people are killed every single day for a hell of a lot less money than what a botnet herder gets. And with the guy being in Bulgaria? Well it ain't really that far from there to botnet central AKA Russia. It would be like me being within an easy drive of the Mexican border and stirring up shit for the narcos. Would anybody be surprised if I just "went missing"?

So while I truly hope as you do he is just tying one on somewhere from what I've seen most folks just don't generally walk away from their life, certainly not for 5+ months. And if this guy was big into cyber crimefighting I doubt that theory even more, as it takes some dedication to do that kind of thing successfully and those with that skill set usually don't just "walk away" from it all.

And what are the odds that if he was snatched they would EVER find anything? Europe is a hell of a big place, I'm sure there are plenty of places to lose someone forever that wouldn't leave a trace, just as there is a rumor here a local snitch that "went missing" a couple of years back got "done a Fargo" (chipper shredder) right into the local river after costing one person too many serious money on a methlab getting busted. And from what I understand a good botnet can make as much money as a methlab and is certainly less risky.

Re:Tin foil hats (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34887064)

Why, is he gay?

Unknown, but the "Anonymous Coward on Friday January 14, @09:54PM (#34886528 [slashdot.org] )" must be.

Re:Tin foil hats (2, Funny)

e9th (652576) | about 4 years ago | (#34886146)

Speaking of tin foil hats, let me point out that his last post was on the 9th anniversary of 9/11. Coincidence, gentlemen? I think not. For me personally, the scariest thing is seeing my /. nick subtly hidden in my very own post.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

Seumas (6865) | about 4 years ago | (#34886612)

HOLY SHIT.

If you add all of those numbers and divide them by the magical number that is 3 [youtube.com] , you get 6.66! This guy was abducted by the devil!

Re:Tin foil hats (3, Informative)

JustOK (667959) | about 4 years ago | (#34886772)

Impossible! On the night in question, the devil was with me. We were in a painting class at the local community college.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

e9th (652576) | about 4 years ago | (#34886780)

I'm right there with ya, buddy. You know, I live just an ICBM's throw away from the Everglades, with all its secret government "training" camps, and ever since Fox News told me (on 1/1/11, no less!) that my astrological sign was changing, [foxnews.com] I've been afraid to leave the bunker.

Re:Tin foil hats (2)

MichaelSmith (789609) | about 4 years ago | (#34887044)

I live just an ICBM's throw away from the Everglades,

What a coincidence, so do I!

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

e9th (652576) | about 4 years ago | (#34887216)

So you know exactly what (and who) I'm talking about! Will try to re-establish communications when it's over. Godspeed.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

Hooya (518216) | about 4 years ago | (#34887346)

Precious Flueds!

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

D4C5CE (578304) | about 4 years ago | (#34886216)

Custody? Restraining order?

Yet the apparent concern with what might simply be shoddy wiring rather than a bugged bathroom (of all places) sounds an eerie lot like the kind of trouble that sometimes seems to afflict beautiful [imdb.com] minds [imdb.com] .

Re:Tin foil hats (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886218)

He was tired and needed a vocation and a career change. He wanted to leave the industry with style and drama and probably is a baker, a carpenter or a farmer now..

Just fishing here.

Re:Tin foil hats (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886478)

Just fishing here.

Time traveler and he went back to his original thread.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

vuke69 (450194) | about 4 years ago | (#34886560)

John Titor?

Re:Tin foil hats (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34887156)

John Titor?

No, that one on USENET before him.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

pspahn (1175617) | about 4 years ago | (#34886550)

Jules Basically I'm just gonna walk the Earth.

Vincent Whatcha mean, walk the Earth?

Jules You know like Caine in Kung Fu. Walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures.

Vincent How long do you intend to walk the Earth?

Jules Until God puts me where he wants me to be.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

interkin3tic (1469267) | about 4 years ago | (#34886266)

Organized crime falling back on their violent nature maybe. If someone is so immoral that they'd make malware, is it that hard to believe they'd be so immoral as to kidnap or murder the guy, or hire someone to do it for them?

Similar things may have happened before. [boingboing.net]

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

anomaly256 (1243020) | about 4 years ago | (#34886460)

When was the last time someone was kidnapped by a payphone or an internet terminal? Although, instead of the seedy bars with poker games and Italian restaurants the conventional stereotyped mafioso hang out in, the Malware Mob like to hang out in telephone pits and net cafes..

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886646)

"When was the last time someone was kidnapped by a payphone"

As hard as it is to believe on /., you've obviously never seen "The Matrix."

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

mug funky (910186) | about 4 years ago | (#34886668)

OMG, your URL has been kidnapped! gads, they're everywhere!

Re:Tin foil hats (2)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 years ago | (#34886902)

It's not the criminal malware folks that are the really dangerous ones. It's the state-sponsored ones.

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

CitizenCain (1209428) | about 4 years ago | (#34886654)

I don't have any personal experience on the subject, but I'm just thinking that if I was someone who was making millions of dollars off of electronic crime, and some blogger was threatening revenue stream and exposing me to risk of a long stay inside a Bulgarian prison , I might just kill him, and then tell anyone who asked where he was that he was avoiding computers and telephones. If you can murder someone and make the body disappear, why not make some minimal effort to tell anyone nosing around that the guy's in hiding/trouble/not buried in my cellar?

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

noctrl (452600) | about 4 years ago | (#34886732)

Maybe he is just doing the only thing sane; start growing some potatoes or pot or brew wine or beer..
In short live of the land like we are supposed to do.
I really think humans are better off that way.
Now, I really wish Im the next to go back and listen to my agricultural genes.. ..I learned to hate all the bullshit in the computer world! ..the only thing sane..

ac because I dont care to explore the bullshit why konqueror wont work on slahdot - NoCtrl ..hm, ac or not.. it is not important!

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

capnkr (1153623) | about 4 years ago | (#34887278)

In short live of the land like we are supposed to do.

This is a Fertile land and we will thrive... We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land.
I think we should call it... your grave!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!

Re:Tin foil hats (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886800)

He probably hacked some of the government computers.
The current Bulgarian government is known to be pretty strict with people that do not go with their agenda. He can easily land in jail.
The things in his blog do not seam to be of any conflict with the Bulgarian government so whatever his problems are - they are not coming from his English blog. A search for him using DIR.BG and his Bulgarian name ( ) does not produce any information so he does not seem to be very active in Bulgaria's Internet space.
On the other hand, if he really wants to disappear - he can. Bulgaria is very ca$h oriented and if you have money/cash you can go somewhere where no-one can find you (as long as you pay cash). There are plenty of publicly accessible open hot spots (usually at gas stations & movie theaters) where a person with a notebook can do whatever they want over the internet without been afraid of someone caching them.
btw. The so called corruption in Bulgaria is also going down - mainly because the bribe prices for the new politicians are rising. Only bug companies (read non-local) can afford them :)

Re:Tin foil hats (1)

PopeRatzo (965947) | about 4 years ago | (#34886818)

In Soviet Russia, DoD wipes you.

Unfortunately (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886026)

... this really does sound like a case of paranoid schizophrenia. The business with the photo of the lighting transformer pretty much proves it. :(

Frankly, he'd have been better off being clubbed by mobsters and stuffed into the trunk of a car. I hope they find him before he does serious harm to himself or anyone else.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

anomaly256 (1243020) | about 4 years ago | (#34886072)

Maybe I'm not spooky enough, but I see nothing sinister about series-connected downlights and a ballast.

Re:Unfortunately (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886088)

Exactly.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

anomaly256 (1243020) | about 4 years ago | (#34886112)

... this really does sound like a case of paranoid schizophrenia.

Maybe it's the LSD the CIA are putting into this tap water supply finally kicking in.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

nomadic (141991) | about 4 years ago | (#34886128)

That would be awesome if they were.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886678)

WHAT CITY?

Re:Unfortunately (1, Flamebait)

DurendalMac (736637) | about 4 years ago | (#34886144)

Not exactly. It's eastern Europe. It's corrupt as hell and cybercrime is a big business. Who's to say that the authorities aren't being bribed to go after this guy? It could well be paranoid ranting, but this guy is in a pretty shitty country where the cops are far, far more corrupt than the ones in the western world.

Re:Unfortunately (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886256)

It's easy to tell scary tales for foreign countries, but I'm here in Bulgaria and I can tell you that it's actually a normal country. We do have a higher rate of corruption, that is insufficient to outright claim cops acting autonomously disappear people on a regular basis in here.

Some things in Danchev's email don't compute for me. He says he's prosecuted for his clearly pro-western bias. Ever since the USSR collapse, this country has had a pro-western bias itself. We're in NATO and EU for crying out loud. The fixtures photos are unfortunately not a very clear message of what he intended. Surely if he wanted to show us bugs he'd take more specific photos.

Either ZDNet has decided to withhold some of the information they have, which is understandable, or Danchev was under stress when sending these emails, which is very likely to be assumed. Unfortunately the reason for this stress may range as wildly as from a governmental hunt to possible mental issues.

If he ever stepped on someone's interests, I doubt it'd be the government as a whole, more a specific organized group that was hurt by his work or has been "asking" persistently for his "help". Which doesn't match his description of the events.

So we're left speculating or mocking the guy, or insulting his country, with a clue on what's going on. Sometimes, if you have nothing to say, it's best to say nothing.

Re:Unfortunately (1, Insightful)

countertrolling (1585477) | about 4 years ago | (#34886406)

Sometimes, if you have nothing to say, it's best to say nothing.

If you "work in media" you would go broke in an instant. Besides, "Slashdot Mystery Science Theatre" has a catchy ring to it.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

Krau Ming (1620473) | about 4 years ago | (#34886526)

you know too much and are obviously one of "them" pretending to be one of "us" to smooth this whole thing over... i will now hide in my tinfoil hat.

Re:Unfortunately (2)

DurendalMac (736637) | about 4 years ago | (#34886632)

My brother spent two years in Bulgaria. He met a lot of good folks and had many good things to say about the place, but he wasn't shy about pointing out outright government corruption from top to bottom. Some states in eastern Europe faired better than others when the USSR collapsed, but organized crime is still pretty rampant even in the better-off states.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

ScrewMaster (602015) | about 4 years ago | (#34886718)

Well, to be fair he did admit that they have a higher rate of corruption. And organized crime is pretty rampant here in the U.S., for that matter. Well, that's what our public officials tell us when asked about why our prisons are overflowing. Of course, a lot depends upon how you define organized crime.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

hedwards (940851) | about 4 years ago | (#34886820)

Depends on your definition of rampant, we do have a lot of organized crime in the US, but it's not anywhere near as bad as it is in Russia.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

gilbert644 (1515625) | about 4 years ago | (#34886700)

This is slashdot, they tell the same scary stories about he US, UK and recently even Sweden.

Re:Unfortunately (5, Funny)

Man On Pink Corner (1089867) | about 4 years ago | (#34887322)

Ah, yes, Sweden, where shoplifting is referred to as "rape of inventory," wire fraud is defined as "rape of database," armed robbers are charged with "rape of wallet," and jaywalking is known as "rape of traffic."

Re:Unfortunately (5, Funny)

JockTroll (996521) | about 4 years ago | (#34887624)

And you can be arrested for being a dickhead unless you wear a condom as a hat.

Re:Unfortunately (4, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886754)

I am Bulgarian and I pretty much think he is a nut job. First of all I had a long history working with Bulgarian ISPs and Bulgarian authorities and I have never heard of him. His linkedin profile is outright ridiculous. What is shown on the pictures is a lamp transformer and bad wiring for in-cupboard bathroom spotlight lamps. Looking at his pictures I would say he has a crazy look. I read his self-proclaimed security researches and I find nothing interesting in them.

The only possible explanation I have is that he tried to brag his work and abilities in some bar in front of people who actually understand these matters and they devastated him. Ralising this he just tried to put some story to get away semi decently, and then he found something better to do.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34887616)

Sometimes, if you have nothing to say, it's best to say nothing.

Boy are you ever in the wrong place.

Re:Unfortunately (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886416)

I don't know how corrupt the cops are but they sure grow some beautiful women there !

Re:Unfortunately (1)

DurendalMac (736637) | about 4 years ago | (#34886620)

Until they hit a certain age, and then the babushka bomb goes off and they turn into shriveled crones overnight...

Re:Unfortunately (4, Insightful)

dziban303 (540095) | about 4 years ago | (#34886464)

...but this guy is in a pretty shitty country where the cops are far, far more corrupt than the ones in the western world.

Clearly you've never visited the city of New Orleans or the state of Illinois.

Re:Unfortunately (5, Funny)

orphiuchus (1146483) | about 4 years ago | (#34886706)

Clearly you've never visited the city of New Orleans or the state of Illinois.

We here in the US don't claim them anymore. New Orleans is now part of Hatti, and most of Illinois is a micronation.

Re:Unfortunately (1)

Qzukk (229616) | about 4 years ago | (#34886288)

the photo of the lighting transformer pretty much proves it

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. The question is whether a poorly installed dimmable ballast just showed up one day. Bonus points if it's not attached to a dimmer switch.

Re:Unfortunately (2)

Psychotria (953670) | about 4 years ago | (#34886326)

Well it might not be. I recently came home from a hacker conference where we discussed the relative merits of using puts("Hello Word!!!\n"); against printf ("Hello World!!!\n"); and how both are open to attacks from malware juggernauts. Upon returning home I noticed THIS [naic.edu] installed on my roof. It's damn lucky I have a keen eye for subtle details or I could have been another victim of malware overlords bugging my house. These people have power beyond your understanding.

The Bank Always Wins (-1, Offtopic)

MarkvW (1037596) | about 4 years ago | (#34886058)

The banks just push their credit card losses onto their customers. Too bad the tea-partying retards don't take it in their heads to do something about that!

The big issue that I see is that there is not enough pressure on banks to keep their credit card transactions secure (or not make them)!

The malware plague would dry up pretty fast if credit card fraud wasn't so easy to do.

Clearly this is Obama's fault. (-1, Offtopic)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886060)

Muslim socialists hate computer hackers.

Spooky (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886062)

What a spooky summary. If "malware authors" kidnapped him, maybe we can find Chrome bugs and get a hefty pay out from Google?

So he is not missing. (1)

Stregano (1285764) | about 4 years ago | (#34886078)

Hmm, maybe he is doing some Jason Bourne stuff. Either that or he got arrested and is unable to make any phone calls or make outside contact with anybody. Option 2 sounds more like what happened.

Re:So he is not missing. (4, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886188)

It's Bulgaria -- it's *extremely* rare, almost unheard of, for the police to be able to keep anybody in jail for longer than 72 hours, especially for a non-violent crime accusation. I haven't seen anything in the Bulgarian news about this guy either -- and there would be, given that again, this is Bulgaria and you can't keep anything quiet. The fact that officials there are corrupt does not mean that everyone doesn't know who is corrupt in exactly what way...

According to his blog (2)

kiore (734594) | about 4 years ago | (#34886096)

He's been researching cyber jihadists for 3 years.

Those guys don't normally disappear their enemies, bombs are more their style.

Re:According to his blog (1)

II Xion II (1420223) | about 4 years ago | (#34886600)

The jihadists I am familiar with routinely kidnap people.

Granted it's usually in the Middle East, but I'd imagine they kidnap individuals more often than they "blow them up."

Re:According to his blog (1)

ScrewMaster (602015) | about 4 years ago | (#34886724)

The jihadists I am familiar with routinely kidnap people.

I count myself lucky not to be familiar with any jihadists.

Of course, I feel the same way about anyone that is functionally insane, and for whom the only known treatment is summary execution.

Re:According to his blog (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886740)

The jihadists I am familiar with routinely kidnap people.

Yeah, but usually they want everyone to know they've kidnapped someone and why.

Hmm... maybe the submitter is a jihadist?

This is not "stuff that matters". (4, Funny)

Seumas (6865) | about 4 years ago | (#34886132)

Everyone knows that disappearances only matter if the subject is an attractive, young, blond, female. Preferably from at least an upper middle class background.

Re:This is not "stuff that matters". (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886228)

Where's Maddie?

Ok she hits 4 out of those 5.

Re:This is not "stuff that matters". (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886372)

Who's Maddie?

"on what appears to some sort of bugging device... (1)

D4C5CE (578304) | about 4 years ago | (#34886158)

and wires coming out of walls in his apartment"

Not just yet another less-than-stellar electrical installation? What exactly is supposedly suspiciously spooky about them?

A lighting fixture! Those bastards! (1)

Zakabog (603757) | about 4 years ago | (#34886160)

The government installed a lighting fixture! Those bastards! Its dimmable too! Clearly they want him to have mood lighting so he can seduce women in his bathroom, and mate with them. They clearly want an army of Danchev's under government control. He can't use a phone or a computer because the government enrolled him in dozens of online dating sites and posted his phone number in his profile. It all makes sense!

Re:A lighting fixture! Those bastards! (1)

Suki I (1546431) | about 4 years ago | (#34886510)

More shoddy government work.

In Democratic Bulgaria... (2, Funny)

richard tarantula (1464545) | about 4 years ago | (#34886180)

Cyber Jihad blogs YOU

'BOUT TIME !! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886190)

They need to toss this criminal in the slammer and then throw away the key !! Enough of these "malware research" asswipes !!

One for Sherlock Holmes (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886286)

Some one apparently slipped a 100 herbal Viagra pills in his borscht.

Maybe he just became an AC? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886336)

I would not at all blame him... Just think of this this way. He has piid off one heck of a lot of East European bot net (read Russian Mafia) guys. And the crooked internet providers that they support.
What are his options? Go to the Bulgarian Police and hope they are not crooked?...not a good idea. Try to deal with the mob?...very unlikely. One of two things he is either dead already or in hiding. It is that simple. The governments of Eastern Europe are not in a financial position to fight organized crime and one place that organized crime is really into high tech is Eastern Europe. Tin foil hats be damned!

Anonymous Coward

Re:Maybe he just became an AC? (1)

Sulphur (1548251) | about 4 years ago | (#34886658)

Anonymous Coward

To what kind of Hell are tin foil hats damned?

But who would bug... (1)

suv4x4 (956391) | about 4 years ago | (#34886374)

But who would bug... a bathroom?

Who would prosecute a pro-western guy in a pro-western country [af.mil] ?

I fear as if his own email points to a rather trivial explanation, that afflicts some people in the field of exact sciences...

Re:But who would bug... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886474)

Mod this up.

I think his "professional paranoia" went a little beyond professional and he's in hiding from electric lighting fixtures. Generally speaking, eastern block countries aren't very quick to move onto cyber security matters (I am from there, I know - that stuff just doesn't excite them as there is no money in it to split up, now guns or oil are another matter).

Or may be he realized this is a lighting fixture and is now ashamed to show his virtual face.

Re:But who would bug... (1)

postbigbang (761081) | about 4 years ago | (#34886508)

It might have been a nice way to disappear, leave bizarre and perplexing and sincerely misleading trail crumbs.

Or he might be dead.

Apparently somebody cares. Nice to know.

Steganography ? (1)

NewToNix (668737) | about 4 years ago | (#34886378)

Did anyone check those apparently disassociated pictures for messages?

As in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography [wikipedia.org]

Well at least try, who knows what method (if any) he may have used.

Twitter (4, Informative)

eulernet (1132389) | about 4 years ago | (#34886382)

He seems to have been active on his twitter until the 20th of October:
http://twitter.com/danchodanchev [twitter.com]
thus invalidating the September 9's menace hypothesis.

He may simply have found a new job, and lost interest in updating his blog, or he may be paranoid and is hiding himself, by stopping all his online activities.

Using Twitter is not really the best way to stay discreet and anonymous.

Re:Twitter (1)

fishexe (168879) | about 4 years ago | (#34887796)

A blogger lose interest in updating his own blog? Impossible!

Girlfriend (1, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886396)

He found one of those girlfriends that everybody talks about.

Re:Girlfriend (1)

Opportunist (166417) | about 4 years ago | (#34886808)

C'mon, you know they're a myth. Why do people keep repeating that lame nonsense over and over?

Re:Girlfriend (3, Funny)

fishexe (168879) | about 4 years ago | (#34887810)

Because it makes a good story. You know, like dragons kidnapping princesses, or the liberal media persecuting Republicans.

Re:Girlfriend (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886886)

Maybe he is trying some penetration tests on them to exploit them. Legend says they hold lots of secrets. I hope he releases his findings.

Re:Girlfriend (1)

fishexe (168879) | about 4 years ago | (#34887802)

He found one of those girlfriends that everybody talks about.

He'll be back. Just wait until she becomes a wife.

Real criminals will hurt you (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34886422)

At Ruxcon there was a speaker from the Aussie Feds talking about how real criminals don't have a problem hurting or killing people. If you have been in jail for 10 years for hurting someone in a robbery and your new cell mate tells you he is in there for making $50,000 in 20 minutes by hacking, guess what the old school criminal is going to look into when he gets out? Since he will have no skills, he will find a geek and try to convince them to help him make money using whatever persuasion techniques he knows which boils down to "do this or you get hurt"

He also mentioned that other officers have been asked about their overseas holidays by criminals in interrogation rooms.

Location... (0)

jordan_robot (1830144) | about 4 years ago | (#34886456)

His body's decomposing in my locker.

Identity theft (1)

sb98052 (857171) | about 4 years ago | (#34886960)

Maybe one of the cybercriminals he was chasing stole his identity and went into hiding

Another World (1)

NicknamesAreStupid (1040118) | about 4 years ago | (#34887100)

It's easy to forget how tenuous life can be in other countries, especially under his circumstances.

Tron (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 4 years ago | (#34887438)

Maybe he found the secret to the digital world. He is making his own digital world.