Silk Road's Ross Ulbricht's Next Court Date Set For November

timothy posted about 9 months ago | from the your-honor-it-was-an-honor-killing dept.

The Courts 77

Daniel_Stuckey writes "Ross Ulbricht, the alleged administrator behind the illegal online drug marketplace the Silk Road, will get his day in court on November 3rd, according to a blueprint laid out today in New York's Southern District Court by Judge Katherine Forrest. Ulbrict, alleged by the government to be Silk Road founder Dread Pirate Roberts, is facing four charges (PDF via Wired) related to narcotics conspiracy, running a criminal enterprise, conspiracy to commit computer hacking, and money laundering (other charges have been brought against him regarding murder for hire in Maryland). Appearing today in court—clean-shaven, in a navy blue prison uniform—he pleaded "not guilty" to all charges. Next week, on February 13th, Josh Dratel, Ulbricht's defense attorney, will be handing over hard drives sufficient to hold eight to 10 terabytes of data, which is the approximate size of the evidence which the government has said it may use against Ulbricht. By Feb. 27, two weeks later, the prosecution must return the drives with Silk Road data the FBI collected from computers in a foreign and unnamed country, as well as a drive that holds the contents of the defendant's laptop, which was seized during his dramatic arrest at a San Francisco library in October."

Beta comment from an old-timer (5, Insightful)

The Qube (749) | about 9 months ago | (#46192881)

Obviously, I've been around the Internet and around here for a long time: started reading Chips & Dips and continued reading on a daily basis since then (overall, I don't think I missed a single story ever). I even (unknowingly) helped Rob with a Perl problem on comp.lang.perl when he was coding the original Slashdot (received a "Don't Fear the Penguins" T-Shirt when they made it into the big league - I still treasure it).

A couple of years ago, I switched to doing most of my reading on smartphones and tablets. One of the first apps I downloaded for my iPhone was the Slashdot app (I think it was branded by the then owners and included other sister sites) - it sucked though.

Anyway, I continued reading Slashdot daily through the RSS feeds and hardly ever logged on to the website itself. It wasn't just about the stories themselves - I got a lot of news and editorials from other tech sites as well (AllThingsDigital/Re-code, GigaOM sites etc). I loved reading the comments (trolls, shills etc included) and the RSS reader neatly provided the top 5 comments for each story which also enabled me then to drill through into parents, responses etc. Though I've always been more of a lurker, it is those comments that have made it a community that I've felt a part of for the past 17 years. I didn't mind crappy summaries, duplicate stories and other editorial failures - they were a part of Slashdot. About the only thing that I found annoying was the rampant islamophobia/xenophobia that developed over the past 10 years, supported by 1-2 editors, but it was mostly easy to ignore.

I've tried to support Slashdot whichever way I could. I clicked on ads on Slashdot when I wanted to buy something from those regular advertisers (Rackspace, ThinkGeek etc). I didn't even find Slashvertisments annoying as a lot of those introduced me to products and companies that I didn't know about - a good example was a video for Scottevest hoodies [slashdot.org] , which I've been buying regularly since.

I read some rumblings about Beta in the comments recently and didn't fail to notice :-) a torrent of them over the past week or two, so I decided to check out the Beta site.

The beta site is fundamentally broken! I appreciate where the defensive story yesterday [slashdot.org] came from and I know that a lot of actual technical bugs with the new site can and will be fixed. The problem though is that the idea behind the new site itself is broken, so whatever is being built is being built on wrong foundations (and feel free to replace "foundations" with "intentions", depending on your level of paranoia about Dice's ownership/plans). The commenting functionality very much feels like an add-on (and it is reflected in the UI design as well) - at which point you may as well just run a Wordpress blog with comments or a commercial web discussion plug-in. The commenting functionality needs to be the foundation that the rest of the Slashdot is built on, not the other way around.

Based on my own experience, I know how these things go and I know that these (and others') comments will be ignored because a lot of effort would have gone into the current Beta site already. Something reasonably functional will eventually emerge, after many iterations and after a lot of effort, but by that time, a lot of users will have been needlessly turned away.

Death by a thousand cuts is sad :-(

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1, Insightful)

j-stroy (640921) | about 9 months ago | (#46192905)

Respect. Nailed it:
>The problem though is that the idea behind the new site itself is broken, so whatever is being built is being built on wrong foundations

/please not a coffin nail

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (3, Insightful)

DaTrueDave (992134) | about 9 months ago | (#46192909)

Wonder if an editor will reply to a three digit UID?

The solution is simple. Dump the beta and tell everyone that any proposed changes will come from the community (NOT "the audience").

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

Jack Griffin (3459907) | about 9 months ago | (#46193479)

Fuck this, I've had enough. It's clear the Slashdot has suffered massive and irreparable damage. Can someone give a list of similar sites, I'm ready to walk.

Re: Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193581)

Icanhazcheezburger looks just like beta.
Oh you meant similar to classic.
Nope, there are none.
Why you think we're mad?

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

tqk (413719) | about 9 months ago | (#46199017)

I haven't heard a word about 4chan lately, so maybe it's become interesting and enlightening or something.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

dmbasso (1052166) | about 9 months ago | (#46192953)

If I had mod points I would mod you up.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192979)

Amen, Brother...amen. Now if only someone up in Dice would only read this and the near 2000 post to the article you linked (also at the header on this page), maybe there will be some kind of reassessment of what they want to do.

Captain Normal

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (4, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192989)

Dice is lying through their teeth to the advertisers they hope to attract to Slashdot:
Take the tour [slashdotmedia.com] and you'll see how they claim the nerds will stick around and read their ads. They call Beta "newsier" and "nerdier", although they're well aware the nerd "audience" they're selling won't tolerate Beta.
Advertisers, don't get ripped off! Demand an advertising platform that retains the demographic you want to target!

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193023)

Advetisier! Tech folks LOVE ads and week old news, our MBAs told us so.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

phantomfive (622387) | about 9 months ago | (#46193271)

Well, I do like the advertising. One of the advantages of Slashdot for me is that I'm able to see what companies are trying to sell to developers. In that way it's like going to a trade show for IT/Developers. Right now I can see that IBM is really excited about their new storage appliances for data, for example.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193533)

News Flash! IBM is in the storage appliances game! Speaking of old news...

Excited?! Humanized. IBM's advertising budget for storage appliances included Slashdot.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

wjwlsn (94460) | about 9 months ago | (#46195467)

Interesting. I cruised around the site a little and found this bit about the "psychology" of social engagement. Maybe somebody at Slashdot is using this to try to understand us... so they can design Beta to be more "engaging". If so, I think they've got us figured all wrong.

http://slashdotmedia.com/under... [slashdotmedia.com]

Here's the little comment I left there. (It's still pending... it'll be interesting to see if they actually post it.)

It's interesting that this includes Slashdot... mostly because any conclusions you might draw from it will be horribly wrong if you're trying to understand the Slashdot community. I think I see now where some of the design imperatives driving the Beta site are coming from, and unfortunately, they might end up driving away all the people that actually create the content.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193001)

"Death by a thousand cuts is sad :-("

Yes. The good times are gone.

Pick up your box full of tears and man up, move on.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

rossdee (243626) | about 9 months ago | (#46193019)

Thankyou for your comments

I have been a reader of slashdot, and reqular commenter for quite a while too. Back then I was online for IRC a lot, tp keep in touch with my girlfriend who was 8000 miles away. (we have been married for 11.5 years now.)
At the moment I am on medical leave, due to go back to work on the 21th Feb, so I tend to be online more than usual. I don't read slashdot at work, that would be against company policy. (Besides which I don't have time,) I just use my phone to play music.
For those of you that doubt my geek credentials, I have owned computers of one type or another since July 1979
And in 1974-75 in high school I was writing programs in Fortran, punching holes in the cards with a paperclip, and mailing them to the university computer centre (100 miles away) and getting the printout back a few days later. (This was in NZ, I didn't movr to the US until 2002)

Now get off my (snow covered) lawn

I will miss this place...

You're now repeating scripture. (0, Troll)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 9 months ago | (#46193059)

Old age, time in grade, and time in rank is a mythical way to determine competence.

I reject this doomsayer readiing of the fate of /.

You are repeaters of the Doom mantra. I am tired of the whining complaints.

Do something, and try your best not to resemble the American electorate....whimpering instead of improving and complaining instead of working for effective change.

I am pretty sure i nailed that landing but i have a bit of charmatic reserve in case i am mistaken!

Re:You're now repeating scripture. (2)

Luke has no name (1423139) | about 9 months ago | (#46193205)

They are one of many ways to gauge experience. In any case, people are doing something:

http://altslashdot.org/ [altslashdot.org]

Re:You're now repeating scripture. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46196425)

Tell that to the next gray haired airline captain on the airliner you fly, you pathetic little knowitall cunt.

Re:You're now repeating scripture. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193277)

Fuck you.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193099)

Simply thank you.

Explain why comments are broken (1)

jomama717 (779243) | about 9 months ago | (#46193597)

First off I appreciate your comments, wonderful to see a thoughtful and measured response to this whole thing for a change. I've been using the new site for the past few days - at first just trying to sift through the crap, and then getting fed up and downmodding and finally replying to it out of desperation, and through all of it I never witnessed how the commenting/modding system is any more broken that it has ever been. Missing features galore, yes, but fundamentally broken?

The *only* specific gripe I've seen was that if the thread gets too nested the comments are squeezed into an unreadably narrow box. (1) that's seems like a pretty easy fix, and (2) I can't recall the last time I've read through a good comment thread that was more than 4-5 levels deep. So with respect, what am I missing? What has been fundamentally broken in the comment system? Nobody seems to say, they just say it sucks, or is fundamentally broken, or as you say is an add-on, etc.

I've been an active reader/commenter/submitter for over a decade and none of this makes any sense to me. Worst case the site is done, due not to the redesign itself, but the completely unhinged overreaction to it (see: throwing out the baby with the bathwater [wikipedia.org] .) Best case, 1-2 months from now the is cruising along fine minus a tiny group of users with a very skewed set of priorities.

Re:Explain why comments are broken (3, Informative)

deconfliction (3458895) | about 9 months ago | (#46193879)

I'm not the GP, but I'll answer with the 2 most critical points for me personally.

1) the fresh user experience involves by default full expansion of 0 and -1 comments. This is pure poison. Much as I laud the side of the debate that paints us commenters as *contributors* rather than just 'audience', the fact is that there are as many poisonous comments as golden ones. Exposing new users to the site to all of those instead of hiding score:0/-1 by default and 1-lining score:1/2 will simply leave new visitors with the wrong impression of the site (IMHO)

2) for me, the ability to direct link to comments is critical. This seems missing, and as yet I've seen no promise to implement it in beta or keep its aspect of classic around permanently. For instance, I like to share specific comment subthreads, like this one, between myself and active duty US Navy Information Warfare Officer Dave Schroeder from 8 months prior to the Snowden revelations-

http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3156485&cid=41530745 [slashdot.org]

snippets of context include-

"
That's one problem with cyber (Score:5, Insightful)
Attribution.

Disclaimer: I am a Navy Information Warfare Officer.

First, it's important to note that the White House didn't confirm the suspected source. It was anonymous officials who said this appeared to originate "from China" -- take that as you will.
" ...

"
A couple of things:

1. I thought your Google manifesto was very good (I know it's a work in progress).
2. I think you're reading WAY too much into certain things. ... ... ...

Back to the other issues. I'm a little disappointed you called so many of my responses straw men; they're not in any respect.

I have not seen any serious calls for "backdoors" in secure protocols. You're completely misunderstanding what even the FBI wants: you're imagining a scenario where "the Man" has a secret backdoor to any running system, encryption, or secure protocol, anywhere. That is not only false, it actually would be gravely detrimental to our own security: we -- individuals, the civilian sector, the government, the military -- rely on the security of these protocols. It's similar to the belief among some that NSA has a "secret backdoor" ...
"

Re:Explain why comments are broken (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46206805)

Disclaimer: I am a Navy Information Warfare Officer.

Holy shit! And to think once I tried to troll Dave by calling him a jackbooted thug, he IS a jackbooted government thug!

Re:Explain why comments are broken (1)

Immerman (2627577) | about 9 months ago | (#46207821)

Also the extremely wide sidebars. How are you supposed to hold a decent conversation when you can only fit a handful of words per line? Your post for example would easily fill a half-dozen pages worth of text..

Re:Explain why comments are broken (1)

M. Baranczak (726671) | about 9 months ago | (#46195769)

The missing features wouldn't be a big deal if this was an early preview, but they were actually planning to take this thing live.

And if the wide margins are such an easy fix, then why haven't they fixed it? People have been complaining about this since the beta came out 5 months ago. And I don't mean just posting random comments about how it sucks - a lot of us actually took the time to give specific feedback, but this feedback was completely ignored.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

unitron (5733) | about 9 months ago | (#46194093)

Sir, and/or madam,

I applaud your comment and would greatly appreciate your consideration of this

http://slashdot.org/submission... [slashdot.org]

along with an upvote out of Firehose purgatory if quite convenient.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (2)

aliquis (678370) | about 9 months ago | (#46194673)

Seriously.

They run Slashdot.

Yet they still haven't figured out we don't even read the summaries.

Slashdot is all about getting others opinions, wider and more information.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46195369)

Jesus fucking christ. Can you old guys stop bitching about the new beta!? I've been reading slashdot for years and I don't mind trying something new.

Now I get that you old guys have problems with new stuff, but stop spamming *every* *single* *story*.

Re:Beta comment from an old-timer (1)

Janek Kozicki (722688) | about 9 months ago | (#46198855)

This guy wants to start altSlashdot: http://slashdot.org/~Okian%20W... [slashdot.org] - check his latest comments

I hope it will have UTF-8 support as well as mathjax - the math rendering engine used on stackexchange [stackoverflow.com] . Imagine how wonderful comments and posts could look like, if people could embed formulas easily!

Our wiki now collects all the most important ideas: http://www.altslashdot.org/wik... [altslashdot.org]

Also you are welcome on IRC ##altslashdot on freenode

BTW, I haven't changed my sig since 2002, and it will be the same on new slashdot, whatever name we pick: http://www.altslashdot.org/wik... [altslashdot.org]

slashdot betas next court date... right now! (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192891)

verdict: GUILTY OF SUCKING

beta comment from a not-so-old-timer (5, Interesting)

perpetual lurker (3529599) | about 9 months ago | (#46192893)

I've been reading slashdot for around a decade and have never bothered to create an account let alone comment / moderate, but I did today in order to add one more voice to the chorus of lamentations over the design changes.

Since finishing my schooling, slashdot has been the place that I come to continue to learn. Slashdot has taught me a history of the internet from the perspective of the people who actually developed it. Slashdot introduced me to linux which I now run exclusively in my house. And it has influenced my thinking on non-technical subjects like civics and law. I visit daily because, despite all the flamewars and occasional shill, uniquely knowledgeable people always have some insights to share.

Since this site is now facing an identity crisis that threatens to drive away the community that makes it worthwhile I want to share one tidbit that I learned here:

grok: (verb) to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed—to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience

I have grokked slashdot. The people pushing the awful beta design clearly have not.

Re:beta comment from a not-so-old-timer (1)

rmdingler (1955220) | about 9 months ago | (#46193127)

If /. were a familiar lover instead of my substitute for one (heh heh),

I would have sex with her on the back of an angry bear.

I will not stand idly by and watch her self-induced destruction without intervening.

I will love her even if she's Dice's whore.

Who cares? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192897)

Someone did something illegal and will go to jail for it.

Meanwhile...

People are being murdered, and children are being abducted. But since this is some "anonymous" type person, we have to read tons of press about it.

Lock him up and throw away the key. You Ulbrict-leg humpers can write him letters.

Re:Who cares? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193093)

Right. And Fuck Beta!

Re:Who cares? (3, Funny)

unitron (5733) | about 9 months ago | (#46194113)

These on-topic posts are so confusing just now.

paste this to cut the BETA (4, Informative)

melikamp (631205) | about 9 months ago | (#46192899)

Please post this to new articles if it hasn't been posted yet. (Copy-paste the html from here [pastebin.com] so links don't get mangled!)

On February 5, 2014, Slashdot announced through a javascript popup that they are starting to "move in to" the new Slashdot Beta design. Slashdot Beta is a trend-following attempt to give Slashdot a fresh look, an approach that has led to less space for text and an abandonment of the traditional Slashdot look. Much worse than that, Slashdot Beta fundamentally breaks the classic Slashdot discussion and moderation system.

If you haven't seen Slashdot Beta already, open this [slashdot.org] in a new tab. After seeing that, click here [slashdot.org] to return to classic Slashdot.

We should boycott stories and only discuss the abomination that is Slashdot Beta until Dice abandons the project.
We should boycott slashdot entirely during the week of Feb 10 to Feb 17 as part of the wider slashcott [slashdot.org]

Moderators - only spend mod points on comments that discuss Beta
Commentors - only discuss Beta
http://slashdot.org/recent [slashdot.org] - Vote up the Fuck Beta stories

Keep this up for a few days and we may finally get the PHBs attention.

-----=====##### LINKS #####=====-----

Discussion of Beta: http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=56395415 [slashdot.org]
Discussion of where to go if Beta goes live: http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&type=submission&id=3321441 [slashdot.org]
Alternative Slashdot: http://altslashdot.org [altslashdot.org] (thanks Okian Warrior (537106) [slashdot.org] )

Re:paste this to cut the BETA (1)

Xacid (560407) | about 9 months ago | (#46195021)

"Keep this up for a few days and we may finally get the PHBs attention." ...we already got their attention. Why is everyone still beating the dead horse after our concerned have been acknowledged. I'm fairly certain the point has been made - and clearly. Now it's the people doing all the "fuckbeta" nonsense continuously that's pushing me away from this site - not beta itself.

wtcinp...fb (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192913)

While this certainly isn't productive...

fuck beta

Mourning Slashdot ;( (2, Insightful)

zidium (2550286) | about 9 months ago | (#46192917)

I have been an active and paying member of Slashdot for the better part of 15 years. I am already mourning its demise, as I view it is on its deathbed in terminal condition.

Please, please don't make the beta live for everyone, even if there is a (let's face it) temporary classic mode ;(

This reminds me too much of FastMail's UI disaster of October 31st 2012 :(

Re:Mourning Slashdot ;( (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193365)

> paying member of Slashdot

What? I've never heard of such a thing, and I think I've read at least the subject of every story posted here since Oct 1998 when I met the /. guys at the Atlanta Linux Showcase. Got a link to any info on the paying part?

Re:Mourning Slashdot ;( (1)

glavenoid (636808) | about 9 months ago | (#46194165)

The old page to purchase subscriptions [slashdot.org] and the FAQ [slashdot.org] which explains the subscription program.

You should take a remedial reading course if you missed this. It's been mentioned many, many times over the years. Or maybe get yourself checked for senility.

Re:Mourning Slashdot ;( (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46206103)

> [link to http://slashdot.org/subscribe.pl]

That displays a login page. There is no mention of a subscription. You got caught in a lie.

DON'T BE FOOLED INTO DISCUSSIONS HERE! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192921)

Remember BETA will be MANDATORY SOON!

I've heard of companies hiring people or volunteers to participate in discussions, especially on new or dwindling boards to bring more traffic - not saying any company in particular here, but the reality of such actions occur - some admins on some forums have admitted in the past of people pretending to be more than 1 person in a conversation to increase hits.

Stay the course - if they switch to Beta without classic mode, then never visit this site again.

If you want nostalgia, try Archive.org's The Wayback Machine. It might be a good idea to download content you want now before it disappears, sometimes even archive.org can't or won't archive everything.

A captain may go down with his beta ship, but that doesn't mean we have to cling to it because we spent X years here.

THE WAY IS SHUT

I am getting a feeling... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192947)

that people around here don't like the new beta site? Or am I way off?

I see BETA people ... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46192971)

they don't even know they're BETA.

They prostrate themselves before their master's table and beg/whine for scraps, even if it's only for a short time.

I swear, if you guys who are begging and staying for the beta are all Americans, it wouldn't surprise me. You have the attention span of a gnat and can't stick to anything. Everything is short lived or given the smallest degree of effort before quitting.

If you want to stick to something, stick to the fact that BETA is here and CLASSIC will be GONE.

Friends don't let friends go BETA.

This is your brain on BETA, and so forth.

Beta violates ADA guidelines (5, Insightful)

Antique Geekmeister (740220) | about 9 months ago | (#46193005)

The unnecessarily complex and excessively indented layout interferes with text->speech tools, and actually reduces legibility for people who heavily expand their screens due to visual problems. The current clean, well ordered, linear layout is easy to use, intuitive, and doesn't insert painful, confusing, or unnecessary complexity. The slashdot readers, and contributors, are here for the stories, not for the exciting newness of the GUI.

Does anyone know who actually _wrote_, or demanded, the Slashddot Beta? I'd like their names so we can warn our clients and colleagues _against_ their work.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193069)

Assistant District Attorney of what state?

Or is this something to do with the ADA language (named after Countess Ada Lovelace, who programmed Babbages mechanical computer)

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193135)

In case you actually are as fucking stupid as you appear to be, he's talking about the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 [wikipedia.org] .

Those of us working on important web sites takes accessibility extremely seriously.

What the GP is saying is vitally important. We should know exactly who is behind the failed Slashdot redesign. Their work is clearly sub-par, and as an industry we need to protect ourselves from their apparent incompetence. The best way to do this is to know who they are, and then to avoid engaging in any sort of a design or business relationship with them in the future.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193273)

"In case you actually are as fucking stupid as you appear to be, he's talking about the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990"

I am not from the USA.
I know about the position of "Assistant District Attorney" from the Law & Order series which was shown on TV in my country.
I used to go down Ada St on my way to work.

I don't know the names and acronyms of all the American legislation. I know you have a PATRIOT act which is not named after a movie starring Mel Gibson and Peter Woodward, nor is it named after the SAM that was fired against SCUDs during the gulf war. Just some concocted acronym.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (1)

dcollins (135727) | about 9 months ago | (#46193139)

Americans with Disabilities Act.

http://www.ada.gov/ [ada.gov]

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (1)

Antique Geekmeister (740220) | about 9 months ago | (#46195115)

I never mentioned the ADA in my post. So you obviously know that the relevant law is the American with Disabilities Act, since you inferred its mention without my having written it.

May I assume that such a mis-aimed, ill-founded troll was written by someone whose paycheck relies on the slashdot beta? The presence of irrelevant and distracting matierial based on a need that was invented out of misunderstood references and now leads to confused publication by someone who has failed to address any genuinely relevant issue does sound like the Slashdot Beta.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (1)

Yebyen (59663) | about 9 months ago | (#46203155)

Psst... you actually put ADA in the subject of your post.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193119)

Rumor has it, that it was Satan!

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (1)

zidium (2550286) | about 9 months ago | (#46193189)

Nah, I don't think Stallman had anything to do with this ;-)

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (2)

zidium (2550286) | about 9 months ago | (#46193195)

I think I may have been banned... My last comment had a blank subject and a single "?" in the comment box.

I had said:

Nah, I don't think Stallman had anything to do with it ;-)

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193327)

I had said:

Nah, I don't think Stallman had anything to do with it ;-)

You know what? It was probably the work of SATAN!

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (1)

Antique Geekmeister (740220) | about 9 months ago | (#46195145)

Perhaps it was "SANTA" ?

http://www.porcupine.org/satan... [porcupine.org]

I still remember the SATAN network scanning tool, which had a little script called "repent" to change the name and gifs to "SANTA"

Could there possibly be such a tool in place to "repent" the Slashdot Beta to something usable? We can only hope.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193137)

Those are user focused guidlines. Dicenut fags don't care about those.

What they care about is - What catches eyeballs... what makes them click the add. It's not about empathetic UI UX

It's about metric based testing and whatever the fuck whores out the UI UX for maximum revenue. To your face they say they care but really they or analyzing every single measurable metric for what creates the most clicks. Sites gotta pay bills and employees but it's a balance. Malda got the balance... honored the tethership.

Malda why the fuck did you let the reigns to these assholes.

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193443)

You did not know who wrote the new beta? That was the same team that worked on windows 8 OK now I will have some beer :)

Re:Beta violates ADA guidelines (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46194565)

This is an excellent initiative. The festering pile of shit that is Slashdot Beta should be prevented in any way possible from seeing the light of day, and this is one of the better weapons in our arsenal to achieve that goal.

Never Surrender (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193045)

some people are drumming up support for the editors or others behind the FORCED BETA move.

DO NOT LET THEM TIRE YOU.
Do not let them win you over from emotions.

No shit like, "C'mon guys, I really enjoy this site, let's stop posting crap" because THEY just don't get it, or they do and want to stop OUR RIGHT to PROTEST and SWALLOW the Beta shit and to hell with us the users!

Please continue to MOD UP Anti-Beta posts, THIS IS OUR RIGHT!

Remember where this is headed, remember where DIGG has gone.

When the BETA is rolled out, no matter how difficult it may be, STOP coming.

R.I.P. Slashdot, DIGG, Kuro5hin

A PILL FOR EVERY ILL (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193105)

For Slashbeta? Cyanide

and now for a comment not related to beta... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193201)

What happened to a fair and speedy trial? It's February. Why in the holy fucking hell does he have to wait until November?

Re:and now for a comment not related to beta... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193241)

A secret court decided that it would be best.

Social Media for B2B Technology (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193321)

Slashdot (/.) is an online community that features technology-centric news and discussion. The site has been pioneering user-generated content and social media since 1997. Slashdot consists of a mix of reader-submitted news, opinion, interviews and crowd-sourced questions, backed by professional insight and analysis. In addition to user-generated content, the site features original editorial covering a variety of IT topics including cloud computing, data centers, storage, mobility and business intelligence. Knowledgeable and tech savvy users (in all corners of the tech world) share and create a broad range of stories, and leave thousands of comments, every day. Slashdot is “News for Nerds. Stuff that Matters.”

Sad to see no comments in over two hours! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193351)

WTF is going on with /.? Normally after two hours there'd be dozens of comments to even an uninteresting post. Did people just give-up on the site?

I am fed up (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46194779)

I agree, it is non-stop "beta sucks" comment flow. It has become useless.
Does anyone still sane have a suggestion which subreddits to subscribe to for a slashdot like story feed?

OK fuck beta but... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193397)

The legibility of what text is actually on the screen is loads better than the classic site. One half of people bitch and moan about spacing and layout on beta being absurd but fuck that. I loaded up classic and was immediately greeted with stories taking up half the width of my screen. Double tap to expand and now text from left to right is edged with the kerning on classic making it harder to read as the First and last letters look like they bleed out of the blackness of my display.

Time to expand those comments I'm interested in, but wait, it's so fucking small it expanded the wrong one and jumped to an illogical place in the document body. Fuck classic on mobile. This is exactly why I'd lurk from RSS on mobile.

The other half are bitching, rightfully so, because comments on beta damn near feel like one is reading WordPress comments. Its fucked.

And it doesn't fucking matter BC the people who really shape this community are exiting. I'm not one of those ppl, I lurk here to be shaped by the community that's seemingly dissolving.

And for the love of sanity, stop promoting shit like altslashdot where the first page you see has a "business" plan and potentential monetization scheme. If there's going to be an alternate, think big, no bigger, NO FUCKING BIGGER SHIT-FOR-BRAINS and design something distributed yet accessible (don't fucking reply to me about Usenet or some shit, reread the caps) and keep the corporate bullshit fenced out. Make monetization an impossibility and that will necessitate a self sufficient system where the community can't get fucked in the rear.

Fuck beta? No, fuck DICE for spreading the gems of people that found there way here that have shaped my views and and disillusioned my ignorance on subjects I normally gloss over across the entirety of the internet.

fuck the beta: fonts edition (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193419)

can someone explain to me what is the sense of the different fonts in the beta? Some people's posts are classic helvetica some people have some kind of funky ass times new roman and i'm pretty sure some people had whole posts in italics. What the fuck are these different fonts supposed to mean? I have no fucking idea! Or are they just totally random shit meant to make slashdot annoying to read? Well, mission fucking accomplished then. But really is there legitimately some purpose to the different fonts or what? I don't get it.

Re:fuck the beta: fonts edition (1)

glavenoid (636808) | about 9 months ago | (#46194211)

My best guess is they're different accents based on your posting location. Helvetica is standard American English, Times New Roman is standard RP British English. At least that's how they sound to my eyes.

The italics are just drunk.

Re: Silk Road's Ross Ulbricht's Next Court Date Se (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193427)

I'm guiessing that this means nobody gives a flying fuck about ol' Ross.

Move on, nothinig to see here.

rtfa (1)

melchoir55 (218842) | about 9 months ago | (#46193463)

I didn't rtfa becase....

beta sucks. Clueless MBAs in tech companies suck. Clueless marketing and sales drones in tech companies suck.

Get a clue.

Boycott /. from the 10th to the 17th

FORK SLASHDOT (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193493)

It's not about whether the beta interface sucks or not (though it does). What it's about is this:

"But, yes, we're trying something new. Why? We want to take our current content and all the stuff that matters to this community and deliver it on a site that still speaks to the interests and habits of our current audience, but that is, at the same time, more accessible and shareable by a wider audience. We want to give our current audience the space where they are comfortable."

The "audience" needs to expand to increase revenue. Interests, habits, wider, audience. That's all it is. Dice couldn't give a shit who the "audience" is, as long as there's more eyeballs. Fork /.

Wow this looks terrible! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46193539)

What happened to the interface? This BETA view is just awful!!! I can't see the comments, I have to click at the bottom? ugh, well I really hope someone makes an alternative to slashdot before this beta thing goes live. This is just dreadful.

If you are listenting, then how did I get redirected to this stupid interface?

WHY so LATE? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 9 months ago | (#46194937)

It's only February. Do they plan to use Manning-style incarceration to 'soften him up?"

Check for New Comments